Alphabet Letters
Maylee knows many alphabet letters. She just remembers them from her toys, puzzles, books, and talking with her. Maylee likes to connect a letter to a friend at her baby sitter's house or relative who has that letter in his/her name. She really knows: A for Ammie and Andrew, B for Betty, C for Carol, D for Dani, E for Emma, F for feathers, H for Holly, K for Kevin, L for Lily, M for Maylee, O for Owen, P for Papa and Porter, S for Sarah, and T for Ty. These letters she is always finds and naming on everything she sees.
This month she saw a "wet floor sign" that has the word CAUTION on top. She started naming the letters but not in order. I figured she would say C, A, T, and O, but she named all of them correctly! I'm not sure when she learned U, N and I with no crosses at the top and bottom.
*Note: After surprising me with knowing more letters, I decided to ask her which ones she knows. On 2-26-12, I wrote all 26 capitals in random order and she named 20/26 correctly...she did not know G, J, Q, X, Y, and Z. However, when we do her ABC train puzzle, I help her flip all her pieces over and tell her what letter comes next. She is always able to correctly find each letter on the first try to add to the train. She has another wooden ABC puzzle and she likes to have the pieces flipped upside down and for you to tell her which letter to find. Again, she will get all letters correct even though they are reversed when upside down.
Dreams Story
Sometimes I ask Maylee was she dreamed about when she was sleeping. She almost always says, "seven and eight." One night I said, "Goodnight Maylee. Happy dreams about seven and eight." She said, "No Mom. Not seven and eight. Forty nine."
Numbers
Maylee has been into numbers lately. She has noticed the clock on the stove has numbers so she likes to tell you what she sees. She is very consistent with knowing 0, 2, and 8. Number 9 she calls a P.
*Note: On 2-26-12, I wrote numbers 0-9 mixed up on a piece of paper and asked her to name them, she got 0, 4, 3, 2, 8, 7 correct! ( 1 she called "l" and 9 is still "P.")
I swear we don't drill her on these skills. Her brain is a little sponge that wants to know what everything is called and she does not forget anything...even months later. Three doctors have said she is very advanced with her language/verbal skills. As a teacher and a parent, I hope this means she will continue to have a love of learning, a desire to always inquire more of what interests her, and hopefully she can get some college scholarships. :-)
No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.